Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Compassion Satisfaction

admin
(@admin)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

What does your own Compassion Satisfaction (CS) look like?

Christy Jensen
 Christy Jensen
(@Christy Jensen)

First, I found it fascinating to consider that compassion fatigue can seem competitive. "Maybe I don't have it as bad as the next gal..." kind of mentality. We are so focused on comparing and weighing ourselves against others. But the reality is, if the situation or issues seems difficult, then that's okay. That's your perception and you're permitted to view it as such, without the need to compare to anyone else's situation. And as we try to recognize, it's really how we respond to the situation moreso than the situation itself that help us come out on the positive end. 

Second, my compassion satisfaction "status" is a work in progress. I have been "successful" in educating my colleagues and the caregivers and families I support in "filling their own cup" (one of my favorite metaphors) but when looking in the mirror, I have not "practiced what I preached" because I had so many more folks to serve and support! Or so I thought. I am learning to schedule time for myself through regular exercise classes, taking walks with my daughter and dog, and visiting with family who have moved closer. I think in this world of physical distancing, we have to be more creative in how we remain connected to our friends so I offer and accept lots of virtual hugs and high fives. 

Third, I appreciate the idea that we can plant seeds to grow our compassion satisfaction. I find the team I work with does this likely without even realizing. We remind each other of our good work, not in a boastful but in a celebratory way. For that, I'm most grateful. I'm also grateful for all the comments and experiences that have been shared in the first two weeks.  

ReplyQuote
Share: